Monday, November 28, 2011

Ready!!

Just about two weeks until I leave for Japan with the eight other people on my team. I am so excited, but there is still a lot I need to get ready. I still do not have all the warm clothes I need and other essentials. It will all work out I'm sure, its just that it is causing me to be much more busy than usual.
Last weekend I hitchhiked to Hilo which is on the other side of the island, it took us about three hours to get there, but it was a blast. We brought our hammocks and slept in a banyan tree, which is a huge tree that looks like it could be just a bunch of trees clumped together, but it is all just one tree. They are incredible. Sleeping in the tree was not such a blast because it rains so much in Hilo, so we were wet and cold. I did not bring a sleeping bag because the one I have was much too large to bring, so I brought a thin towel. I was freezing. But the next day we had breakfast at a sketchy diner and then walked around downtown
Hilo. It was nice to be away from the YWAM campus and be in the 'real' world again. But Hilo is a really sad place, it looks like a tsunami hit it and nobody tried to fix it up. The buildings are really old and covered in moss and grenery. Most of the people are homeless hippies, infact one of the guys who was traveling with us talked to this Korean man who did not have a home and then bought him lunch. I felt so helpless because I knew that most of the people in that Hilo were in the same situation as this Korean man. And we couldn't buy everyone in Hilo lunch. We took the bus all the way back to Kona, it only costs a buck! We got back in Kona on Saturday night. It was a wonderful trip, but I don't think I ever want to go back to Hilo. The rest of Hawaii was absolutely beautiful, lots of rolling green meadows, waterfalls, and mountains. :)
This week our lectures will be with the other YWAM DTSers in our main 'Ohana Court.' One of our speakers will be Andy Byrd, a young, really energetic speaker. I cannot remember who the second will be.
Well I have to go to lecture now. Please email me if you have any questions :)
Naturally,
Demetria

0 comments: